Saturday, 9 February 2013

A little 6 x 6 mixed media canvas.

Been having another play with some mixed media stuff today and I am really pleased with the end result for a change!

Started out with an old 6 x 6 canvas that I had done previously and didn't like it , so I  'canibalised' it! Managed to leave some seriously stuck paper to it which was a bonus because it actually gave me a little texture.

Anyway, I gave the whole a going over with some Gesso, when dry, I randomly painted on some acrylic paint, added another colour, some white and a little copper metallic paint.

The 'fairy' is the same as the previous one done in the journal page, a clip art image which was shrunk down. I used versamark clear ink and then heat embossed her in copper, added another coat then stamped into it while still hot with  my favourite crackle background stamp.

Her wings are done using the Tick Tock Butterfly stamp from The Artistic Stamper and stamped using versamark clear and copper embossing powder. Her skirt is a piece of cream beaded lace I had in my stash so I just lightly painted it with copper metallic paint and then when dry I gathered it up  with a few stitches and then stuck it down with a hot glue gun

Printed the phrase off onto some old book pages and coloured them using Denim Distress ink.  Randomly stamped a cogs border and spot border and also used a little sequin waste with some white acrylic paint.  Edged everything off with an Indigo Blue Inktense pencil and then rubbed over some Crystal Stickles!

Really pleased with this piece and I am thinking about entering it into an exhibition being run by the college. Not very often I am confident about my work but this piece has changed that for the time being.

Thanks for reading,

Take care and enjoy the rest of your weekend.

Jackie x

Thursday, 7 February 2013

An explosion of colour!

Well, I've had a little "me" break yesterday/today....needed to take some time out from college art and do some of my own. So, I spent some time working on a journal page.

I sprayed the background with Dylusions Lemon Zest, Squeezed Orange and Bubblegum pink onto lots of water to let them all blend in together.. when dry, I randomly stamped over it using Fired Brick Distress inks and Black Archival ink.

The "fairy's wings" are actually stamped using the Patchwork Butterfly Themeplate from Chocolate Baroque as are the random stamps of swirls and a half butterfly in the background.

I coloured the wings using Inktense pencils....LOVE these pencils!! ..... now on to the ballerina....this was a clip art  image from Microsoft word which i just enlarged....i printed it off twice. Carefully cut out the ballerina from one image and used what was left as a stencil. I drew around it with an inktense pencil and then overstamped the 'space' with my favourite crackle background stamp using Fired Brick Distress Ink. I was originally going to colour the ballerina all black and use her as a silhouette but changed mind and decided to colour her instead, again using Inktense pencils.

Wasn't very happy with the background so I added some stencils and doodles to 'finish' it off a little.

Once everything was stuck down I then edged it with a black intense pencil to make it stand out a little.

A bit of a change from me this time as I don't normally 'do' bright and girlie but I am surprised at the way it's turned out despite the fact I hate orange! I find it such a 'difficult' colour...always have and always will lol.

Thanks for dropping by,

Take care

Jackie x