Saturday 16 June 2012

Art Journal challenge .

Over on the Art Journal Cafe blog The challenge at the start of this month was Technique! ( I'm a bit behind lol)
Multiple layers of colour, collage and dimension! So me being me and REALLY in the mood for playing I used them all!


I started off by glueing some book pages to my journal pages, then gave them all a 'plastering with Gesso! Wanted as much 'texture' as I could manage with such runny Gesso. When dried I mixed up and added a coat of acrylic paint, when this was dried, I mixed up yet more paint, this time in reds, white and Gesso and painted round the edges of the pages, leaving the centres of the pages 'blank'. When this was dry, I then 'dry' brushed through some sequin waste, added some stamping (the ink blots) and then used some lids off a coffee jar and a bead storage container to give me the hollow circles! I also used an old debit card to give me the white and teal 'lines' .

I put the whole thing aside to dry and then started work on the heart, which was done by drawing around the lid of a heart shaped box. I covered the whole thing in Gesso roughly to give me texture, dried it off with a heat gun and then mixed up some Deep Red and Burnt Umber acrylic paint gave the heart a coat of paint but wiped some of it off with a baby wipe so you could see the texture underneath.  I dried it off and stuck it to the journal page, blended it using what was left on my pallet along with some Gesso, then edged it with some doodles!

Here is a close up of the heart so you can see some of the texture ....



The wording on the opposite page is just drawn very roughly and then coloured in using a black fine liner, I use a heart shape instead of the letter " o " just to theme it in a bit.

The edges are done using the 'waste' from The Vintage Lace Alterations die, I just doodled some hanging hearts and white dots to finish it off a little. The Keyhole and Key are again an Alterations die cut, i just painted them using some burnt umber and teal to give a slightly 'rusty' look. I edged them with a gold marker to make them stand out a little.

I've had an absolute blast doing these pages today! thoroughly enjoyed my playtime and can't wait to have a go at the next challenge, which is up on the above website now!

Thanks for looking


Take care

Jackie x

4 comments:

Rita said...

Wonderful pages Jackie. Your strength is showing with these ones anyway. Fantastic bright colours, just like the way I knew you to be. Bright & Cheerful. Hugs Rita xxx

May said...

Stunning pages Jackie.. love the colours & design.. fabulous stamps.. Love it!! Hugs May x x x

SandeeNC said...

I think I have the most fun creating when I am slapping it all on the page, mixing textures and mediums...fun, huh? I think I get as much on me as my pages, lol waving hi from the hills of North Carolina :)

Jester said...

It looks really good and it is great to see the details on the close-up.