Friday 28 June 2013

Mixed Media Canvas.

Taaa Daaah ! Finally finished it ! Only taken me nearly three days! Would have done it a lot quicker but had too many  interruptions!

Anyway, I am thriloled to bits with the way this has turned out! Because it's MASSIVE !! 20 x 16 inches!! This is part of a set of four. The other three will be based on the other lines of that poem.

Now the eagle eyed among you will notice that I have done a piece similar to this only a lot smaller for an Art Exhibition in The MacRobert art centre in Stirling earlier on this year, it was only an 8x8 inch and in a different colour, and it SOLD!! :D

Now down to the nitty gritty of how it was all done....first of all it was a limited colour palette, Blues, purples, a tiny smidgin of white and lots of mat medium!

I just randomly painted the background with blues and purples acrylic paint mixed with mat medium.

The dancer is a clip art image which was enlarged, I cut the dancer out and used what was left behind as a stencil, I sponged some gesso through the stencil and when it was dry I stuck wrinkled tissue paper to it with lots of mat medium. When that was dry I then painted her in Pthalo Blue again mixed with mat medium.

I randomly stamped some background stamps over the canvas with acrylic paint . These are various background stamps from The Artistic Stamper.

The Roses and Butterfly are from The Artistic Stamper Steampunk range and are done on  old books pages which were painted over. The words are  Sizzix Alphabet dies and are stuck down on painted book pages.

The 'trees' are an Alteration strip die which is actually branches and birds. They were cut in Navy blue card which was oversprayed with Cosmic shimmer  in blue .
I used a couple of fancy headed pins for the butterfly anttenae. Some old vintage lace which was sprayed with a dark blue cosmic shimmer ink and dry brushed with blue acrylic paint. I added some beads to the waitband to finsihe it off and also hide the stitching for the gathering. I also used some glass beads for the centres of the roses.

The words are edged in white  and silver sakura gel pens and some Inktense pencils and just to add a little sparkle I randomly smeared on some clear rock candy stickles glitter glue!

Below you can see some close ups of the various part of this piece.


Close up of the Roses....


The dancer and her skirt ...
and the butterfly ...





I really did enjoy making this piece and had loads of fun, didn't really think I would because as I said earlier I've done this piece before. Still working on the larger size was great and let me be a lot more creative in filling the space.

Thank you for dropping by and taking the time out to read.

Take care .

Jackie x




4 comments:

Rita said...

Fabulous canvas Jacqui. Love the colours. Hugs Rita xxx

Julia Dunnit said...

I've changed the Linky thing on my blog because your link goes to WOYWW 211, but am not able to find a specific WOYWW post for today, so have left it as just the basic blog ID.
Your canvas came out so well, part of a set eh, talk about giving yourself work!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

You're back!!! Hooray! It's so nice to see you again :-)
Love the canvas, great colours...I'm really into purple at the moment. It all started when I bought this dark Lavender denim jacket...it hasn't been off my back since!
And the crochet is coming along ok..thank god for YouTube tutorials! I learned better from those than from books. All the blanket is made from just granny squares, I think is the yarn that makes it stand out!
Hope you are well and happy!
Hugs, LLJ 59 xx

Gillian Pearce said...

Love the colours in your mixed media and one of my favourite quotes too! Congratulations on your previous sale.
Happy WOYWW.
Gillian #82